Saturday, January 22, 2011

Introduction to Writer's Workshop

        Reading about writer’s workshop was actually pretty informative and interesting. Based on the book’s description of a writer’s workshop, I had never actually participated in one (besides the first day we had class). I think it’s pretty safe to say that in my school we were taught the writing process rather than the art of actual writing. If we had been given a writer’s workshop as the book describes it, I think me, as well as my former classmates, would have enjoyed writing a whole lot more. I remember thinking of writing as a boring job rather than something that could ever be considered an enjoyable activity. It was not until I got older (probably around college) that I appreciated writing more, but even then it was only writing for myself that I enjoyed doing. This kind of goes along with the book saying that student choice is really important when it comes to writing. I remember reading that part and highlighting the heck out of it. We hear a lot in our classes about student choice and how to incorporate students’ interests in the lesson plan activities and I think this is a good way to do it. I mean, the students should have the opportunity to write about whatever interests them, that way, they are more inclined to produce quality writing. I know that when I write for myself or about something that interests me, my writing quality is a lot better. I’m also more proud of what I write for myself than, say, a essay for class or something.
        While reading about writer’s workshop, there were a couple of things that surprised me and kind of made me nervous as well. While I think it is great to have a large chunk of time devoted to writing I am concerned with how much time that actually is. With so much focus on standardized tests in our schools, do we have time in the week to set aside 2 ½ hours completely devoted to writing? I really like to think that we can make the time. There has to be a way we can teach our students everything that we are supposed to cover in a day or week and still have time laid aside for them to produce something for themselves that they actually care about. There has got to be a way that we can do this. Which, kind of, leads me to the question of, how often are we supposed to have a writer’s workshop? Every day? Two times a week? Three times a week? Once a week? The book mentioned that once a week was probably not enough—and I agree with that, but how often are we supposed to have one? I think if I knew an approximation then I would better see how I could fit a true writer’s workshop into my future classroom (which I totally want to do).
        A second thing that I was curious about was how to introduce a writer’s workshop? While reading I kept thinking how great all of this sounded and how I would really like to have this in my classroom but I couldn’t think of how to start it. I completely agree with the book when it states that our students are going to come into our classroom not knowing how to participate in a true writer’s workshop (unless their teacher the year before did it, which would be fantastic J ). How do we teach/show our students how do to this? I’m kind of scared to just tell them what I hope for them to do and have a focus lesson on something and then just let them go. Also, what age group does a writer’s workshop actually start? I was in a Kindergarten classroom last semester and they had “writer’s workshop” but it was more like getting down the basics of how to write (capital letters, moving from L to R—concepts about print type of stuff). Is that still concerned a writer’s workshop? Or is a writer’s workshop more for older students (3-5)? How can we modify a writer’s workshop to fit younger grades that might not be able to focus for large chunks of time on writing?

1 comment:

  1. So many excellent questions in this post, which I love!

    How do we teach kids what to do? Well, the first few weeks of minilessons might be primarily about routine. (Then, they can spend independent writing time working on whatever they want.) Or, you could vary the lessons between things like heart maps, and then others about the purpose and function of a notebook, other idea generators, and so on. You'll have to start at the beginning, and that is ok. Push me to talk more about this if I don't cover it well in class.

    I have seen workshops in Kindergarten, and just read about one in PreK. There are whole books about primary writing workshop, and I'll show some focus lessons for this grade range in class. Little ones can draw pictures, then do further lessons on adding details, etc. They might not do the long, drawn out version of the process that older grades do, but they do have ideas they can communicate and write about, be it in pictures, letters, invented spellings, or conventional sentences.

    So glad to see you highlighting the importance of choice. For me, this is the bedrock of the success of the workshop. Even when we are writing about what we choose, to get through all the phases of editing and revision is hard. All the more reason that we have to care about what we are writing to persist and see it through.

    Keep those questions comin!

    ReplyDelete