Sunday, March 27, 2011

Hmm

So, I took the GACE on Saturday. It actually went better than I thought, I'm still nervous about my results but, I think I'll be okay :) OH! I was telling my students about my taking the GACE on Saturday and they were all excited for me and they asked me if they could have a party if I passed it. :) I thought that was so sweet! Kids say the cutest things! :)


Moving on, I'm really trying to think about what I want my multigenre project to be about. I'm having a hard time thinking of something. I think I might have to go back through my writer's notebook and the multigenre article that we read for last week and see if I find anything that strikes my fancy or might lead me to something that strikes my fancy. We'll see, I need to get cracking on this!


So, Kristen and I decided to do our text set on a second grade standard that is based around understanding different elements of fictional texts, such as fairy tales, fables, etc... I think we decided to go with fairy tales and we have a large group of texts (that we should probably narrow down) and we are going to read them and discuss the common themes that are relevant in each fairy tale. Kind of like "What are the elements that make up a fairy tale?" "What types of things make fairy tales different from other types of stories?" My idea actually derived from a project that I did in Block 1, though that project was different. But, I do think it is an interesting concept, to have students think about what types of elements make up fables, fairy tales, myths, legends, etc... I think it is definitely something worth knowing and something that I know I would have been extremely interested in when I was in the second or third grade. I'm excited to see how it turns out and what we can come up with. I might try to get my focus lessons to go along with our text set. I think that would be kind of a neat thing to do, and both assignments would kind of help each other out, so that's always good :)


On a side note, one of my best friend's is getting married this coming Saturday so my friend and I have to leave this Thursday so we can get home in time for the wedding. I'm sooo excited for her, but I'm not gonna lie, it kinda freaks me out that we are at that age where everyone is starting to get married. It'll be weird to see her walking down the aisle to her future, but I am so ecstatic for her ! :) I think this coming weekend will be fun, I definitely have not had the best of weekends at the moment, so I'm ready to get home, see my friends, and heal myself a little. Not that anything awful or terrible or anything like that has happened. But, I often find that when I have had a hard weekend or something that didn't go my way it kind of helps for me to go home and heal myself. It's theraputic and cathargic for me :) It reminds me of what it is really important in life and it makes me whole again, to be able to get back to my roots and remember who I am :) .


This is a Bible verse that also helps me get through the hard times, the good times, and just the normal times. I like sharing it because it has helped me in so many ways, I like to think of it as helping others too....


"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."-- Jeremiah 29:11




This is a picture of the mountains where I come from. This is home to me.


Lookout Mountain, Georgia


1 comment:

  1. Ah....what a lovely picture. I can see why this is a healing place for you!

    I am glad that the GACE went well for you - I am sure you will do fine. It is hard to wait, though. If you think of a question you were not sure about that we need to talk about in class, let me know!

    I'm excited about your text collection. I agree, if you can make the two assignments work together, that makes a lot of sense!

    ReplyDelete